Planning for Gynecomastia Surgery
San Jose, California - The Smart Beauty Guide is an online informational site created by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). ASAPS is a society of over 2600 members of board certified plastic surgeons. The main purpose of the society is to sponsor scientific meetings to present the latest advances in plastic surgery. The goal of the guide is to educate consumers about making smart choices when it comes to cosmetic plastic surgery.
The guide has a gallery of before and after pictures of many procedures, a directory to help patients find a board certified plastic surgeon in their area, and information on most cosmetic surgeries. Reading through the guide before a consultation can assist patients in formulating questions they will want to ask their surgeon.
Regarding gynecomastia surgery, the guide has recommendations for male breast reduction patients who are preparing for surgery as follows:
· Avoid sunbathing 2 weeks before surgery as sun exposure can increase scarring.
· Cigarette smoking and all nicotine products must be discontinued at least 4 weeks before surgery as it is proven to interfere with healing.
· Present a list of all medications and supplements you take to your surgeon. Any products with blood thinning properties must be stopped 2 weeks before surgery.
· It is important to stay well hydrated before and after surgery.
· Report any illness or infections to your surgeon.
· Get lab work done promptly.
· Have prescriptions filled before surgery.
· Arrange enough time off work for recovery.
· Have a responsible adult take you home after surgery and stay with you for at least the first 24 hours.
· Organize books, movies, laptop or whatever you need to keep you occupied while recovering.
· Have plenty of clean clothes that open in the front and are easy to get in and out of.
· Get frozen easy to prepare foods on hand.
Dr. Miguel Delgado, M.D. provides his male breast reduction patients with a surgery booklet of 40+ pages that has details for before and after surgery instructions. However, Dr. Delgado encourages his patients to call the office at any time if they have any questions or concerns. Patient safety and comfort are Dr. Delgado’s number one priority.